Before publishing an item on Walmart.com, you need to specify the product details during Item Setup. This is called defining the attributes of an item.
After identifying the right category for your item(s), download the relevant template / XSD and proceed with the defining attributes step. Read through the item imagery guidelines and have the image URLs ready.
** Note: This article explains only the common attributes required for item setup. There will be compliance attributes and additional required attributes that should be identified and defined based on the category and type of item. **
To see a completed template, download the zip file at the bottom of the article Sample Item Setup Files.
1. Product identification attributes
- Product Name: Title of the product; will be displayed on the product page.
- Product ID Type: Unique identifier used in the Product ID field. For example, UPC; GTIN.
- Product ID: Alphanumeric ID that uniquely identifies the product. For example, 758151704024.
- SKU: Your item identifier, unique for every item in your catalog.
- Brand: Name of the brand.
- Manufacturer: (Optional)
- Manufacturer Part Number: (Optional)
- Model Number: (Optional)
** Note: If you ever need to update the SKU, you can find detailed instructions in Updating The SKU of an item. **
2. Item description attributes
For Search Engine Optimization (SEO) purposes, include the product name and relevant keywords in both the Long Description and the Short Description. For more information, read Using SEO Best Practices In Your Item Descriptions.
- Long Description: Includes all the important features for the item and can be up to 4000 characters in length. This displays well as a list.
- Short Description: Overview of the key selling points of the item. Written in paragraph form and formatted in HTML (maximum of 1000 characters in length). For SEO purposes, repeat the product name and relevant keywords.
- Shelf Description: Appears in the category listing, in the Search box for the item and under the Buy Box. It is a bulleted list of two or three key features for the item, and must be less than 1000 characters.
3. Image-related attributes
- Main Image URL: Provide the final destination image URL (no-redirects) that is publicly accessible (no username/password required) and ends in a proper image extension such as .jpg, .png or .gif.
- Main Image Alt Text: For SEO purposes, repeat the product name and relevant keywords.
- Additional Asset URL: Additional Image URLs (if any) should be provided in this attribute column. Use the columns Additional Asset URL(#1), (#2) and (#3) if you have additional images for your item. The default provided is three columns, allowing for three additional images. If you wish to provide more than three additional image URLs, you can insert the necessary number of columns. Copy and paste the three additional asset columns (Additional Asset-Alt Text, Additional Asset-Asset URL, and Additional Asset-Asset Type) for each additional image. Although you can only upload one main image, you can add as many additional assets as you like.
- Additional Asset Text: Brief text about the image should be included. For SEO purposes, include the product name.
4. Tax-related attributes
- Product Tax Code - Include the relevant Tax code for each item in this attribute. To identify the relevant tax codes, see Current Tax Codes For The Walmart Marketplace.
5. Price Details
- Price currency: For example, USD.
- Price Amount: The price of the product. Please do not use commas or currency symbols.
6. Shipping-related attributes
- Shipping Weight-Value: The weight of the product when packaged to ship.
- Shipping Weight-Unit: The unit of measurement used to describe the weight of the product when packaged to ship.
Global shipping settings are configured in the Seller Center and apply to your entire catalog. When defining specific shipping override settings for an item, use the attributes listed below:
- Is Shipping Allowed
- Shipping Method
- Shipping Region
- Shipping Price
For more information, refer to the detailed article: Configuring Item Level Shipping Override Settings.
7. Variant Group-related attributes
A variant group is a group of individual products or items that only differ by a few attributes. Below are attributes that should be used to set up variant groups:
- Variant Group ID
- Variant Attribute Name
- Swatch Attribute Name
- Swatch Image URL
- Is Primary Variant
For additional information, refer to the article How To Set Up A Variant Group.
8. Compliance attributes
Compliance attributes differ depending on the item category.
For example, all clothing products should have the attributes Required Textile Act Labeling and Country of Origin-Textiles defined.
Similarly, food products should have the attributes Has GMOs and GMO-Free Claim attributes defined.And, for certain products sold in California, you need to specify the Prop65Warning Text attribute.
Provide all of the relevant compliance attributes for your items in the Excel templates or XSD to meet the compliance requirements.
9. Additional category-specific attributes
Additional category-specific attributes are different for every category and help describe items better.
For example, clothing category items require additional details like Gender, Clothing Size, Color, Fabric Material Name, Fabric Care Instructions, Fabric Material Percentage, Occasion, etc. These attributes are important because they help Walmart.com categorize your items correctly.
- Current allowed Shipping Weight-Unit: The only identifier type allowed at the moment is LB. All other units like KG, G, MG, OZ, although specified in the Excel templates and the XSDs, are not allowed and will cause an error if ingested.